Take advantage of peak squash season. Try this Italian Stuffed Delicata Squash recipe for a simple dinner solution.
Delicata squash is available in the fall and early winter months. I don’t think delicata squash gets the attention it deserves this time of year. It’s less intimidating than a giant butternut and spaghetti squash, plus it’s easier to work with.
Cutting through a raw delicata squash is a lot easier, as it has a softer skin and flesh. They are much smaller than other squash varieties and have a perfect center for stuffing. Delicata squash is also delicious simply sliced and roasted. This squash is also great when just cooking for 1 or 2. It’s a perfect size!
Not sure what kind of squash to use for recipes?
Learn the best cooking methods for the different varieties of squash:
Good for: Roasting. Peeling is difficult, so cut it in half or slice (the skin is edible).
Great for: Roasting and soups.
Great for: Roasting and stuffing.
Great for: Pie filling, purees, and mashes.
Great for: Soups.
Great for: Pies, quick breads, pancakes, risottos. Roast or steam, puree, then add to a recipe.
Great for: Roasting. Scrape out the strands and dress with butter or pasta sauce.
If you’re an Italian girl like me, you can make this stuffing in your sleep. You can’t go wrong with this flavor combination. What is unique about this stuffing, is it using the “blend trend“.
The blend is a cooking technique that uses finely chopped mushrooms so that they’re the consistency of ground meat, combining the two and using them together to complete classic recipes is a simple way to make meals delicious and nutritious.
The delicata squash has a sweet note, that adds a unique taste to this savory filling.
- 2 delicata squashes, sliced vertically and deseeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely diced
- ½ lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, seasoned with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place delicata squash flesh side down on the baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Cook onion and garlic until onion begins to turn translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, breaking up turkey into small pieces. Drain any excess juices, if needed.
- Add diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and spinach. Cook until spinach has wilted and juices have reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove delicata squash from the oven flipping the squash so flesh side is facing up. Fill the squash wells with Italian turkey filling.
- Place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes until squash is fork tender and flavors have soaked into the squash.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @rdeliciouskitchen on Instagram or send me a picture, I’d love to see!
Pin it for later!