Usually I always roast, grill, or steam my asparagus. During the hot summer months this is a great way to enjoy asparagus without using any heat.
I was worried the asparagus would remain a little fibrous by leaving it raw, but shaving it thin and the acid from the vinaigrette keeps it light and tender.
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ shallot, minced
- sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1 pound (thick) asparagus spears, ends removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup fresh asiago cheese, shaved (additional for garnish)
- Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, shallot, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- By simply using a vegetable peeler, thinly shave the asparagus lengthwise into strips into a large bowl.
- Whisk olive oil into the lemon/vinegar mix slowly creating a vinaigrette.
- Toss the asparagus with the pine nuts, dressing, and asiago cheese. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving to allow flavors to marinate. Garnish with additional cheese.
Play around with the recipe. Substitute different nuts and cheeses to cater your tastes buds.
In Good Health,